Located in Freeport, this transitional independent living program for young adults, ages 16-20. Walkabout prepares homeless adolescents and young adults for independent living by assisting with job interviews, resumes, creating a budget and overall planning for the future.
- Vocational and education planning, assessment and assistance
- Individual and group counseling on a weekly basis
- Family intervention whenever possible
- Group projects and recreational activities
- Medical and mental health resources (made available, as necessary)
- Aftercare services include supportive counseling, referral services and scholarship assistance
- Prospective residents may be accepted into the house after being interviewed by Walkabout staff
- The screening includes interview, explanation of program rules and requirements and a tour of the Walkabout facility.
- A referral to the house can be made by a family member, by the young person or by an interested professional.
- A referral can be made by calling the Program Coordinator at (516)379-8251, Monday through Friday.
There are many opportunities to help the young people at Walkabout for Young Men and Women. Find out more.
Walkabout for Young Men and Women is funded by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services, NYS Department of Health and Human Services, Nassau County Youth Board, Nassau County Department of Housing and private contributions from concerned individuals and the business community.